Sunday 15 May 2011

Tranquille!

Hola Famillia y Amigos!
Sorry it's been so long since my last post, but i've kinda just been spending more time enjoying the rest of my time in Espana! It looks like I will be coming home a little earlier than expected, but It's ok! I'm ready to  be back in Chicago! The new roommates are great and they are helping me with my Spanish, but at the same time I'm getting used to speaking english again and I just depend on them whenever I need to say something to the Famillia at the hotel.
Things have really slowed down at the hotel. Since there are less clients they have me doing different chores necessary for the hotel. I don't mind doing any of the chores b/c it's good to get out of the kitchen once in a while. And the weather has been great, So I love being outside. I keep telling Mauricio that he needs to develop a Menu for me, So I can bring back all the cuisines of the Basque Region to Chicago! Hopefully me and Omar (My Friend from LCB) can put together a little fiesta for everybody and have "Taste of Spain"!

Mauricio has done a great job showing me what it takes to work in the kitchen and telling me the specifics of making certain dishes that he makes. He is also the "King of Salsa" and has been teaching me some moves during our free time! I feel bad for our roommate Inga (From Iceland) b/c she has practice Salsa with all the guys in the house since she is the only girl. But she is pretty much a pro now that we have been to a salsa bar almost every night we've gone out.

Mac is our other roommate from Philly. He also speaks spanish really well and is taking a year off from school before he goes to the University of Delaware. I always here the family (employees of the hotel) talk to Inga and Mac about my first weeks at the hotel. How I spent a lot of time repeating things said to me and just staring at them with a blank face. I'm not even embarrassed anymore and all I can do is laugh. When I laugh, everyone laughs b/c they all realize that I understand they are talking about me. The good thing is my spanish has improved from 6 weeks ago, along with all the skills I will take away from what I have seen in this kitchen.

This trip to Spain has been more than I could have ever asked for and unforgettable experience. I hope to bring back all that I have learned here: food, culture, language, kitchen skills, and even salsa. I wise man once told me that "It's important to put yourself in a position in life where you are out of you comfort zone, and uncomfortable. Because only then can you truly see what you are capable of"-Liebs
Those are words that I have learned to live by during my time here. When things got tough, I wanted to just give up and come back home, but I stuck with it and now I could not be happier and ready for what's next!

Until next time Hilo Bloggers!

Agurd (that is Basque for Good bye)

PS. Go Bulls!

No comments:

Post a Comment