Sunday 10 April 2011

Domingo

Oh Mis Dios! (Oh My God!!) I thought Friday was a busy day but nope. Saturday night was definitely the busiest by far. I rested during Siesta and Dinner service started slow at least for me. I started just doin prep for desayunos and I thought I was in the clear, but after 15-20 min or so, Mauricio came to my station and started yelling "mas rapido"! He grabbed the rest of my work and did all the prep that took me 15-20 min and he cut it all in front of me in less than 2-3 min. I think he said something along the lines "That's how it needs to be done" (but in espanol)! Than he said clean and I started to help prep for dinner service. There was a lot that needed to be done and I could tell by the tone of Mauricio's voice. He is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He is friendly and joking early in the day, but once dinner service begins he transforms to a whole new person. It's good though b/c it helps me realize of the importance of how quick I need to get things done, I just get caught off guard. As I am completing the prep of chopping roasted vegetables he yells for me to come and use a blow torch on chicken wings that he has cut. He yells a bunch of things in Spanish, but I just assume he wants me to use the blow torch on the raw chicken wings. 
As I'm using the torch he is yelling something at me that I don't understand, then finally he grabs it from me and tells me I am holding it the wrong way with a mucho angry face! Yep,  Mr. Hyde has arrived. This dinner service was so busy, Eric was in the kitchen to help mostly on dishes. I was there to prepare mise en place and salads, appetizers. Mauricio was grilling the fish and steak and all the dinner items. Every time I wasn't busy and tried to help clean, Eric just kept saying Mirar (watch) Mauricio! He said learn for later and if I don't know by Monday, "NO Bueno". He also said to take more pictures and we could go over then domingo. I was able to get through dinner service, but it was by far the craziest and most hectic night by far. Mauricio was impatient and didn't even want me to help with dessert, he just yelled "Clean, Clean, Clean"!
Once everything was finished it passed midnight. Luis came in looking exhausted and he gave me a thumbs and said "Good Job! Working" He then offered me Cerveza! It was French Beer and it was muy excellente. Me and Mauricio walked back to the house and he was laughing. He opened the beer with his teeth, I was impressed! 
We got back to the house and Mauricio was back to funny Dr. Jekyll! We finished the beer had small talk and joked about goin to Bilbao para Salsa y Fiesta a Manana! We talked and joked around for a couple minutes, finished our cervezas and I went to mi Cuarto. I read some of "Art of War" and passed out!
Breakfast was easy, but it was the busiest breakfast by far, and Mauricio was there to help this time. Breakfast was easy, I cooked and baked everything and Mauricio did all the dishes, it was a nice change of pace. After everything was clean, they said I was done until Manana Noches. As I walked out to the Gazebo, I got a call from Esther from Eric's phone! She said that her and some friends are getting lunch in Bilbao and she wants me to come! Hotel Etxegana is bello, but I'm ready to explore the rest of this town and head to Bilbao. I'm goin to get ready! Eric told me to "Look Sexy". I said "No Problema"

Adios Amigos y Ma Familla

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time, minus the craziness! Looks like if things get too bad, you can always look outside and enjoy the view. We're all very jealous and hate you for doing something that cool haha. Maybe I'll have to meet you out there after you're done and take you to Pamplona for the running of the bulls in honor of the Bulls 2011 championship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my ! been reading a lot about your hotel , its a small hotel with 13 rooms but but the service sounds like mucho excelente ! Its family owned , is Mauricio the owner ! or Sr Luis Manuel Orcera . we'll be waiting for your Bilbao experience .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mauricio is the head chef and Luis is the owner! It's a small hotel but it is muy excellente! They are all very nice hardworking people!

    ReplyDelete